Saturday, April 11, 2009

Podcasts inside the classroom...


I recently started exploring the world of podcasts. At first I began by subscribing to the national news. In a short podcast I was made aware of the days'  main events. I then ventured to a set of podcasts known as "stuff you should know." Although the podcasts were entertaining, they included only audio feed.  Without a visual representation I found myself unintentionally losing interest. I then stumbled upon the "educational" blogs on itunes. A wealth of information is available in podcast form. Children's literature, poetry, historical speeches, scientific explorations....everything anyone could inquire about is on a podcast. 

My favorite set of podcasts where entitled "Women in Antarctica." This series of podcasts explores Antarctica, and the women who live their. The photography is breathtaking. It leaves me wanting to travel and see the world.  

Educational podcasts (such as 'Women in Antarctica"), news podcast, and informational podcasts (such a historical speeches and children's poetry) should all be integrated into today's classroom. In addition, student created podcasts are a great way to engage students in learning. School assignments should increasingly incorporate technology. Creating a podcasts is one unique way to bring technology to life inside the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,
    Thanks for sharing your journey in searching for podcasts with us. ITunes is definitely a great resource!
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete