Sunday, March 1, 2009

Twitter


Being an avid Facebook user, I must admit that the social network Twitter does not appeal to me as much as networks such as MySpace or Facebook. Although I still struggle to learn the ins-and -outs of Twitter, I believe that all social networks hold a great deal of potential, for students, teachers, parents, and children from all walks of life. 

What I have found to be of most benefit to me (thus far) is following tweets from the Library of Congress, CNN, and the New York Times. Twitter is unique in that your homepage is updated as your followers update their pages. As a result, I can follow the top stories from CNN and New York Times simply by signing in to my homepage. This allows me to keep informed on world events at the same time as connecting with friends and colleagues. The tweets I have read the most, and learned the most from are the news/information based tweets that I follow.


2 comments:

  1. Megan,
    From someone who used MySpace or Facebook frequently, it was quite interesting to see that you prefer the former to Twitter.

    On the other hand, you do like getting news updates on Twitter. Do you prefer getting your news this way as opposed to an rss feed in Bloglines or google reader?

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I much prefer getting news updates on Twitter. I think its because social networks are familiar to me (even though Twitter is new) so I use them more frequently. Rss feeds are so new to me that I rarely use them (even though using them will be the only way to make them more familiar).

    ReplyDelete